Monday, August 31, 2009

Mini Paintings



Fruit Tart 3"x4", acrylic, $49, and Red Cupcake, 6"x4", acrylic, $89
I just want you to know that little paintings require no small effort -- like I thought they would.

I have added three small sizes of mini paintings to my body of work -- 3"x4", 4"x6" and 6"x8". I decided to do them because I thought it would be a fun way to offer inexpensive art work in my booth so that anyone could take something home. Well, as it turns out, they are inexpensive and they are fun to do. But, I start out on these little adventures with a perfect little plan on how it is going to be. And, then I find myself on a completely different path all together.

I thought I was going to do quick little alla prima paintings. Alla prima means you finish all in one sitting. It means you work "wet into wet" -- you apply the wet paint on your brush into paint that is still wet on the canvas. Alla Prima is Italian for "at once."

These paintings are satisfying for the artist and the result is much expressiveness and color. The downside is that they are really no do-overs. Once the paint is down, its down. But I am used to that. The little fruit tarts, shown here, are done alla prima and they come out great.


Little Carrot Cake, 3"x4", acrylic, $49, and 2 Fruit Tarts, 6"x4", acrylic, $89
But there are other little paintings that take on a life of their own. I have a little carrot cake. It is on the 2-day plan. First day is background, the cake, nut sprinkles and carrots on top. The next day is shading, highlights and shadows. Done.

I added little cupcakes, 6"x4". 2 days minimum. Let's see -- day 1 -- background base, paper cup, chocolate topping, whipped topping -- if I am lucky. Day 2, tone the paper cup, highlight the chocolate topping, add shadows, and work up the background.


A Slice, 3"x4", acrylic, $49
The little berry pie slice (seen on my web site) -- this is the biggy. Would you believe this little 3"x4" painting takes a minimum of 4 days? Here are the days --
Day 1 - Background. It is very textural itself so it cannot be painted over until it is dry, dry. Day 2 - Crust and chocolate layer. That's it. I can go no further until that is set.
Day 3 - Berries.
Day 4 - Highlights and shadows. Done.

And the next size up -- 6"x8" pastry paintings? Don't even get me started.

So as you can see, even though they paintings are little and look very easy, there is no shortage of effort involved.

By the way, mini paintings are available for purchase at my art fairs. Or, you can just email me and I will be happy to ship them to you. Since they are so little, they are easy to pop in the mail.

See my web site for the latest offerings in mini-paintings. I update it whenever a new "batch" of minis are ready.

-- Barb
www.sistakbaur.com

No comments:

The Sketchbook Project at Brooklyn Art Library (Video)

Update:  I just discovered that there was fire involving the sketchbooks in the Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook Project in February, 2022 --...