Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fruit Tart on Red with Gold

Fruit Tart on Red, 11"x14", acrylic, $400, © B. Sistak Baur
Gold paint -- I have always wanted to put gold paint on a painting. Fellow artists warned against it because it is easy to get too kitschy. But, in the secret seclusion of my studio, I went ahead with it anyway. And never showed it to anyone. Until now. Here it is. A fruit tart on a red background set on a gold plate.  And trimmed with a gold valence-like treatment, top and bottom. It reminds me of a small-town bakery window and shelf. How fabulous! The close up shows the golden swirls. You can click the image for an enlargement. By the way, lots of people use gold paint but the master is Gustav Klimt. And his work is not kitschy at all. He's the guy who gave us the famous Kiss.  Here is a multi-media presentation about him.  I am pretty sure I am going to try gold again.

No comments:

The Sketchbook Project at Brooklyn Art Library (Video)

Update:  I just discovered that there was fire involving the sketchbooks in the Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook Project in February, 2022 --...