Thursday, April 8, 2010

Long, Lovely Loaves in the Market

Bread at the Market, 14"x11" , © B Sistak Baur
Rich, warm colors are great to work with but it is the setting of this painting that was the attraction for me. Recreating this scene -- placing the bread in a market -- was exciting. I created a stylized, simplified background to sharply contrast the more detailed basket and lovely, long bread loaves -- unpackaged and obviously fresh. Layers of paint define the individual loaves in the bundle. In the close up, you can see the interplay of colors that define the depth and loave textures. Bread texture is very satisfying in both eating and in re-creating on  canvas.
Bread at the Market, Close Up, © B Sistak Baur
The vertical format emphasizes the shape of the loaves. On my website, I have matched this painting with two others that share the same format.  See how they look together and let me know what you think. This painting is currently available to be shown. Please call me if you would like a personal appointment.

--Barb
www.SistakBaur.com


This painting has been sold.
 

No comments:

The Sketchbook Project at Brooklyn Art Library (Video)

Update:  I just discovered that there was fire involving the sketchbooks in the Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook Project in February, 2022 --...