Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gem of a Painting

A Slice, 9"x12", acrylic on board, framed. © B Sistak Baur
You could say this new work is a "gem." Not because it is so wonderful (it is but that's not the reason), but because the berries are created from a medium that has actual ground garnet in it. This not only gives it a great berry texture but it also contributes to the berry color. The crust is created with a modeling paste to provide the heft it needs for the berries. The chocolate layer on the bottom is a "poured" syrupy mixture that I create myself. I was inspired to do this painting because it has a pop-culture look and recalls some of the famous pop-culture artists of the 50's and 60s. I combined that look with my textural techniques. You can see a larger image of this painting at my new website.

No comments:

The Sketchbook Project at Brooklyn Art Library (Video)

Update:  I just discovered that there was fire involving the sketchbooks in the Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook Project in February, 2022 --...