Thursday, October 30, 2008

Marble Cake, The Pfister Hotel and Personal Delivery

Art Friends, October 28, 2008
Art Friends is an e-letter that I compose for my artful friends from time to time. It features the inside story on new works, art shows and other art nuggets you might find interesting. Thank you for reading. -- Barbara Sistak Baur

Hello Everyone,
Fresh from the studio, Marble Cake, reflects its name in many ways. Yes, you can see the white and chocolate in the cake itself and it is also in the reflection. The marbleized top is most exciting to me because it is the result of a new technique. An acrylic medium is mixed with paint and spread on the top. More about the technique is explained online.
Marble Cake, 11”x14”, acrylic on panel, with a contemporary black frame, $400. © Barbara Sistak Baur

Art-Throb™ -- The Pfister Hotel

Art-Throb is the term I use when I discover a great place, usually a little out-of-the-way, to enjoy an art experience. I came across such as place this past weekend – the Pfister Hotel in downtown Milwaukee. First of all, the Pfister is a turn-of-the-century restored beauty in itself. But on top of that, it boosts the largest Victorian art collection of any hotel. There are more than 80 pieces. Guido Pfister, the hotel founder, collected the works from about 1860 until 1895 (the concierge tells me). Victorian art typically features pleasant scenes and idealized people and animals. Sometimes Greek or Roman themes are employed. beautiful. Victorian paintings reflect the optimism of the turn of century. The director of the Milwaukee Art Museum writes, “Dating generally from the years surround the hotel’s founding (1893), the art collection is an exceptional example of late Victorian taste in America.”

The paintings are located throughout the lobby, mezzanine and 7th floor meeting and banquet rooms. You are free to roam and view. The gift store sells a $10 guide which is worth the price. To get there, set your GPS to 424 E. Wisconsin Ave. I placed a couple of photos online.

Personal Delivery Just for You
Over the past art fair season or even before that, you may have seen a painting that you liked but, alas, did not take home. Well, here is a chance to get your painting – from now until the end of the year, I will personally deliver the painting to your house or have it shipped to you at no charge. And remember, all paintings are guaranteed.

Well, it is back to the studio for me. Incredibly, I am preparing for the 2009 art fair season already which means I am busy creating painting after painting to fill my booth next year. I hope to get the new works posted on the site soon.

Warmly,
Barbara Sistak Baur
Artist

P.S. If you know a friend who would enjoy my work, please feel free to forward this email. If this email has been forwarded to you, please let me know so that I can add you to my Art Friends directory.

Photos Now Online
-- I took a few snapshots of friends as they stopped by my art booth at Art in the Barn. Take a peek!

Purchasing
Checks and all major credit cards accepted -- VISA, MasterCard, Discover and American Express. All purchases are guaranteed. More info online.

Feedback and Correspondence
Always welcome. If you have comments or there is something you would like to see in Art Friends, please let me know.

New to Art Friends?
By the way, I continue to find friends that I think might enjoy Art Friends but may not be getting it. So I decided to send it to you. If this is the first time you have received this, I say "Welcome!" I hope you like it. However, if you would rather not receive it, please let me know (see the next paragraph).

Unsubscribe
If you would like to stop receiving Art Friends, I understand. Click reply to this email and just type “unsubscribe.” Thanks for your friendship!

Trademark & Copyright notice
Art-Throb is a trademark of Barbara Baur Art. Art Friends and all images are ©2008 Barbara Sistak Baur and all rights are reserved. If you wish to copy this material to other publications or mail lists, great!! Just let me know so I can give you permission. Thanks for your respect.

Barbara Baur Art
3405 Highland Dr.
Island Lake IL 60042
and
2944 S. Harlem #4
Riverside IL 60546
708-372-2798
barbarabaur@comcast.net
barbarabaur.blogspot.com

No comments:

The Sketchbook Project at Brooklyn Art Library (Video)

Update:  I just discovered that there was fire involving the sketchbooks in the Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook Project in February, 2022 --...