Sunday, June 1, 2008

Art Friends, June 2, 2008

Greetings Everyone,

I accepted a challenge recently – take the textural style I have developed further. Push it to a different place. Today’s painting is the result, “Loaves.”
Loaves, 16”x30”, acrylic, $975 framed and ready to hang © 2008 Barbara Sistak Baur

I used raw canvas as the major textural element, along with large brushstrokes and impasto paint. The raw canvas was cut or torn into appropriate shapes. That process left some loose strings and fraying that I decided to keep. The raw canvas shapes were adhered to the board and stuffed a bit to give them more depth. I painted on the raw canvas using a large brush. I dripped glazing on the rolls for “icing.” I like how the roughness of the canvas, raw edges and thick paint serves the subject. Plus, there is a more abstract feel. Let me know if you think this is a good direction to continue in.

Warmly,
Barbara Sistak Baur, Artist

P.S. I have done a couple of smaller paintings using this technique. Go to my Blog to see them. They should be just a one or two from the top. Or click the Bakery Art topic.

See You at the (Art) Fair!
I will be showing and selling my artwork this summer at some very lovely art festivals. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. I hope to see you at the fair! All begin and end about 10 am to 5 pm.

June 28-29 - 29th Annual Fountain Square Art Festival, Evanston, IL, 1700 Sherman Ave.
July 12-13 -- Art Fair on the Square, Madison, WI, around the state capital building
July 20 -- Kenosha Art Fair, Kenosha, WI, Library Park, 60th St & 8th Ave.
August 16-17 -- Long Grove Art Festival, Long Grove, IL, (tentative)
Sept 6-7 -- West End Art Festival, La Grange, IL, on Burlington Ave. between Brainard and Spring Aves.
Sept 26-27 -- Art in the Barn, Barrington, IL, on the grounds of Good Shepherd Hospital, 450 W. Rt. 22

Now Online
Fruit Cookie, Café Table, Shaved Chocolate and Berries, Sweet Bun, Sticky Buns—fresh from the easel!

On the Easel
Flamingos!! Remember the library tables? Well, I am doing a Flamingo table. Who doesn’t just love flamingos? If you haven’t seen the library tables, click the Library Tables topic on my blog.

Feedback and Correspondence
-- Always welcome. If you have comments or there is something you would like to see in Art Friends, please let me know.

Forward this Email
Yes, please go ahead and forward this to a friend. By the way, if this email has been forwarded to you, you are not automatically added to my e-letter list. If you would like to continue receiving Art Friends, I need to hear from you. Click barbarabaur@comcast.net and type "Yes, Art Friends."

New to Art Friends?
By the way, I continue to "clean up" my address book and find friends that I think might enjoy Art Friends but may not be getting it. So I decided to send it to you. If this is the first time you have received this, I say "Welcome!" I hope you like it. However, if you would rather not receive it, please let me know (see the next paragraph).

Unsubscribe
If you would like to stop receiving Art Friends, I understand. Click reply to this email and just type “unsubscribe.” Thanks for your friendship!

Copyright notice
Art Friends and all images are ©2008 Barbara Sistak Baur and all rights are reserved. If you wish to copy this material to other publications or mail lists, great!! Just let me know so I can give you permission. Thanks for your respect.

Barbara Baur Art
Lively, Textural, Vibrant
3405 Highland Dr.
Island Lake IL 60042
and
2944 S. Harlem #4
Riverside IL 60546
708-372-2798
barbarabaur@comcast.net
http://barbarabaur.blogspot.com/

No comments:

The Sketchbook Project at Brooklyn Art Library (Video)

Update:  I just discovered that there was fire involving the sketchbooks in the Brooklyn Art Library Sketchbook Project in February, 2022 --...